I have been trying to decide on new décor for our house, but when we go out to actually buy things, I tend to get overwhelmed because of pricing. Anyone else with me on that? Why on earth do pillows cost $30 or more and you need EIGHT of them? I LOVE getting my Restoration Hardware catalogs in the mail and swooning over everything inside, but that price tag stops me dead in my tracks every time. Pinterest helps me find ways to get better deals on the looks I want. After stopping and writing down my wants for each part of our house, I decided to spend on times that I know can transform the entire feel of a room. My top five items to update a room are…a lamp, a catch-all basket, picture frames, a rug, and wall art.
1. Lamp- I found this really cute Threshold Lamp at Target, and it has a semi-decent price. I have found myself loving neutral tones with Southern accents for our house right now, so this metallic silver base and burlap has held my attention on my Target trips. If you stop and think about how long you will have and use a lamp, investing might be for you. If not, try finding a similar lamp at Walmart or a yard sale and turn it into a DIY project by updating the shade and spray painting it!
2. Catch-All Basket- This Threshold rattan catch-all basket was also found on a recent Target outing, and I had to scoop it up. Having baskets like this one in every room is so important because you can easily throw in all of the toys and random odds-and-ins in it when you are cleaning up. We use these in our house so much now with our kids’ toys, but before Nolan and Harper, we used them to store extra blankets in. They look so cute with rolled up blankets tucked into the corner of the room or beside a chair.
3. Picture Frames- Changing out your pictures and your picture frames can change the look of a room by itself! I love to find funky ones like this one by Azure Home from TJ MAXX or getting plain frames from Walmart and antiquing and spray painting them to work amongst the other frames. Pictures can also give you dimension in an otherwise plain room. I found a way to blow up pictures at Office Depot to make inexpensive canvases, and I am going to add those canvases to our home decor when they are finished!
4. Rug- I have been searching for “the perfect rug” for our living room for three years. I have been so indecisive about it because we need an 8×10 and they can easily cost thousands of dollars. Thankfully I found the website rugsusa.com while I was browsing Pinterest, and they have rugs discounted 75% sometimes! That means I can get an 8×10 Trellis rug for around $400. I had been trying to decide on a color (whether to do a pop of color like a yellow or neutral like grey) and I decided to go grey because of us having small children and two dogs. I need something that is going to hide stains versus highlight them. (Tip: Order a rug pad from Target and save yourself money instead of buying it with the rug.)
5. Wall Art- I have been struggling with deciding how I want to decorate our walls. I am not a fan of fancy paintings or statues in our home, and I have been trying to find something that would fit into our Southern neutral decor. On Instagram, I found this company called The White Loft that makes wooden growth charts. They make them in five different colors, and I decided to go with the rustic color for our home.
I really like the mint and the grey that just came out! These make great additions to any home, and we will use it to document the growth of our children. Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and these wooden growth charts are such an easy gift for any mom (the deadline for Mother’s Day is April 24th). The growth charts would also make a great baby shower gift if you really want to impress the mama-to-be.
We plan on giving them to our close friends and families in the future so they can always have the milestones of their children close by. The White Loft has decided to give my followers 10% off all purchases placed before April 11, 2015! Use code: LSLIFE at check-out to get your discount. Please tag me and The White Loft in your photos so we can see how you are using your growth ruler in your homes!